Thursday, February 10, 2011

When Ali Met Sally

It is clear that I am expected to be more fearful about the Muslim Brotherhood than I was as a child of the Jewish Sisterhood. And if I had only paid better attention in that Sisterhood Hall to the social contract which was expected of me – if only I had fallen into line and for a Jewish girl, then I am certain -- we wouldn’t be in this mess today.
There has been a lot of talk about how the social media has contributed to the uprising upheaval in the Middle East. In Egypt, a lot of blame credit must also go to the morally reprehensible, aberrant behavior exhibited by wayward young multicultural Egyptian adults like Sally Moore.
 According to the Arab-worshiping reliable New York Times, “I like the Brotherhood most, and they like me,” said Ms. Moore, a 32-year-old psychiatrist, a Coptic Christian and an avowed leftist and feminist of mixed Irish-Egyptian roots. “They always have a hidden agenda, we know, and you never know when power comes how they will behave. But they are very good with organizing, they are calling for a civil state just like everyone else, so let them have a political party just like everyone else — they will not win more than 10 percent, I think.”
My question is this: how could Sally Moore, whose parents clearly were not paying attention to the apocalyptic warnings they must have been issued as children before intermarrying jumping off the abyss into some funk, know more than our flawlessly informed, right-wing media?



No comments:

Post a Comment